Friday, May 11, 2012
Relax and breathe ... School Testing coming soon
academic material from the entire school year in preparation for End-
of-Grade (EOGs) and End-of-Course (EOCs) tests. Teachers are preparing
students with classroom studies, but there are some extra tips parents
can take to give their children a helping hand.
Fahnie Shaw, an instructor for Parent University's Preparing for EOGs
courses, said she realizes this time of year can be stressful for
children. She said it is important for the family to remember that the
purpose of the tests are to show what the student has mastered and to
help evaluate teaching methods in the classroom.
"We tell the parents to make the tests no big deal," said Shaw. "You
need to reassure students that they know this information already.
Show them what they have mastered. Build their confidence."
While testing is only a few days away, Shaw said it's not too late to
review, but do not attempt to review everything in one night.
See more tips from Parent University on preparing for the EOGs and EOCs:
Before the test
· Encourage your child to get a good night's sleep before the
· Provide your child with a nutritious breakfast before the
· Minimize outside activities during the week of testing. This
will help reduce stress at home.
· Set your alarm a little early each morning and make your
time together at home pleasant and encouraging.
· Make sure your child arrives at school on time.
· Give your child a hug and let them know you have confidence
Posted by Buck Lawrimore at 4:13 PM