Thursday, October 6, 2011

Local author recognized by Reader's Digest

Nancy Bruss of Charlotte is one of the 150-word life stories being
considered for publication in an upcoming issue of Reader's Digest
magazine. Bruss' story is available for viewing at facebook.com/
ReadersDigest. Locals can also show support by voting for Bruss' story
or any others they like at facebook.com/ReadersDigest.

Her story:

"Happy Mommy's Day" by Nancy Bruss

Happy Mommy's Day! When one of my twin boys, David, was in
kindergarten, they had to write a book about their Mommy to give to us
as a surprise for Mother's Day. I was surprised and thrilled when I
received my gift that year Here's what his book said: My Mommy: She
weighs 5 pounds. Her hair is yellow and black. Her favorite recipe:
She takes a hot dog out of the refrigerator. She cooks it in the
microwave. She takes it out and puts it on a bun with ketchup. I love
my Mommy! David and Connor are now almost ten and I still take out my
"Happy Mommy's Day" book and laugh till I cry.

This is all part of the Reader's Digest continual effort to enrich and
simplify Americans' lives. This particular project "Your Life...The
Reader's Digest Version" celebrates the launch of the new book,
"Life... The Reader's Digest Version," which is also the first of a
new series, by creating a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for people's
personal stories to be widely read and for the opportunity of one
story to be published in Reader's Digest to its more than 30 million
readers, plus be the recipient of a major cash award. Several runner-
up stories will also receive attention and cash prizes. Stories will
be voted on by consumers and winners will ultimately be selected by
Reader's Digest editors. Americans can vote for and submit 150-word
stories about lessons, simple advice, funny moments and other life
stories at facebook.com/ReadersDigest.